Thursday, March 28, 2013

Get your Foot Out of your Mouth

Hey All....

Today I am going to write to you about a topic that I need to hear just as much as the next person. 

I am a talker. What?? This may come as a surprise to most of you (Can you detect sarcasm on a blog?) but my mouth has gotten me into a lot of trouble. I mean from the time I went to preschool I can remember being sat in the "power chair" because I was talking when either the teacher was lecturing or I was suppose to be working.

In the past several years my talking has produced much humor for those who love me.  My family has forever called me Archie Bunker.  Today when preparing to write this I went and looked up some of Archie's antics on YouTube.


Now, unlike Mr. Bunker my language is not rude, its just wrong. I often, OK 95% of the time get sayings or phrases wrong.  Some of my most quotable mishaps:

"She's is the black wolf of the family"
"That's the best thing since sliced tea"
"You have too many pots in the fire"
"You don't have to beat it with a dead horse"

Yes, I know its sad and very true.  Unlike my family I would like to see myself as similar to the character of Gloria, played by Sofia Vergara, on the hit TV show Modern Family. Who often messes up words and sayings due to the fact she is not use to speaking English. 
I would also like to pretend I look like her.
Unfortunately my inability to correctly communicate has not come just from not understand or saying phrases right, but also from the inability to shut my mouth.

Often times I am too quick to speak. I have had several occasions where my inability to stop and think about the words pouring out of my mouth so freely has left a poor impression. Is this harmful, Is what I am about to say going to further the kingdom of God?

Oh...crap! And then the damage is done. Sometimes it can be laughed off.  Other times, not so much and I am left feeling like a miserable person who should really just not communicate unless need be.

Just this last week I had such occasion. And I mean man, did I put my foot in my mouth BAD! I felt so so horrible. And you know what God did too because in my quite time that very night he rocked my world. He showed me scripture, after scripture, after scripture about watching my mouth

Proverbs 10:19 "Too much talk leads to sin. Be sensible and keep your mouth shut." (NLV)

James 1:19 "My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry"

Ecclesiastes 5:2 "Do not be quick with your mouth, do not be hasty in your heart to utter anything before God. God is in heaven and you are on earth, so let your words be few."
 
Wowzers! Stings doesn't it? 

I write this to you not for a good laugh or to in some way boast about myself but as a humble piece of pie.  Look, I say a lot of dumb stuff. And the fact is that if I am not careful I could harm someone from seeing the full kingdom of God. That's mind blowing!

As Christians we are called to be different, so that others can see Christ though us.  So that others can see what Jesus Christ is doing in my life.  If I am walking around constantly with my foot in my mouth people are not going to see Jesus. 

BUT IF... I was slow to speak and quick to listen.  
BUT IF... I cried out "Oh Jesus, help these to be not my words but yours."
BUT IF... My actions spoke louder than my words.
BUT IF... I cried out and believed, not my will but yours be done.

Maybe, just maybe He could use this mouth for good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment